Software Engineer II, Quality Assurance
Sorry, but it’s closed
We are seeking a Software Engineer II, Quality Assurance with at least 3 years of experience to help us fulfill our mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Work Location: ACT Headquarters in Iowa City, Iowa or remote
The Software Engineer II is part of a team responsible for the design, development, testing, and support of Back End IT solutions in support of the Data Analytics and Reporting Agile Release Train as part of an Agile Scrum team. This position is specifically responsible for software quality activities including ensuring that the appropriate percentage of quality assurance activities are executed using automated methods (using Python).
What you will be working on:
- Automation testing using Databricks
- Design flexible, scalable solutions, utilizing your skills in data structures, algorithms, and object oriented programming, using Java and Python
- Independently build, customize, deploy, and manage software in a continuous integration environment and includes automated build, test and deployment infrastructure
- Proactively monitor product scalability, reliability, consistency, and performance
- Actively participate in design / architectural discussions, grooming user stories, sprint demos, and daily scrums in a SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework) approach with a focus on Behavior-Driven Development (BDD); recommend changes to better serve our customers
This could be the job for you if you have (minimum requirements):
- Ability to integrate code into automated deployment pipelines
- Strong knowledge of version control Git
- Ability to work as part of a scrum team, following SAFe agile practices and take ownership of assigned tasks
- Collaboration – work effectively with individuals inside and outside the organization
- Communication – ability to communicate effectively across all levels in the organization
- Change management – ability to manage change and navigate positively in an environment experiencing change at a fast pace in a rapidly transforming organization
- Initiative – uses self-starter approach, ability to multi-task, proactively anticipates and acts on information and details needed, completes tasks with little to no direction; results-oriented
- Accountability - takes responsibility and follows through on commitments; acknowledges and learns from mistakes without blaming others; recognizes the impact of one's behavior; proactively owns all activities related to scrum team execution, including anticipating and proactively planning work across sprints
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Development, Information Systems or related area of study
- At least 3 years of progressive IT experience in software development that includes coding in Java and Python
- At least one year of experience with QA automation testing in Databricks that includes using Databricks to perform ETL from multiple sources including S3, JSON files, and other formats
- Experience developing and utilizing systems to automate software testing activities
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience at ensuring quality in a large, complex technical environment
- Experience using Python data modules such as pandas, PyTables, and Matplotlib
- Experience using Python testing modules such as pytest or unittest for Unit and Integration testing
- Experience using Python web browser automation using Selenium Webdriver
- Experience using Python web framework such as Django
- Experience using a Python IDE to develop and debug code such as PyCharm
- Experience supporting, monitoring, and providing general production support of Sparks Databricks cluster
- Experience using RESTful APIs with data payloads using JSON and/or XML
- Experience using databases including MySQL, MongoDB and Raven
It’s a plus if you have:
- Knowledge of static code analysis tools such as SonarQube, HPFortify, Crucible
- Knowledge of production monitoring solutions such as NewRelic, Tivoli, App Dynamics, SCOM and synthetic transaction scripting
Your Work Makes a Difference
ACT team members are part of an organization dedicated to an important mission: Helping people achieve education and workplace success.
Everything we do contributes to this mission, including team member events, professional development resources, community outreach opportunities and solid benefit offerings. Helping team members achieve education and workplace success of their own advances the ACT mission on a daily basis.
You will be joining a collaborative and highly skilled team focused on Databricks platform development and management, providing business-critical data to key internal stakeholders such as ACT Research and Test Security.
When ACT was founded in 1959, it disrupted the assessment industry with a new approach to helping students better understand their readiness so they could take steps to improve it. By leveraging our expertise and authority in assessment and research, we will again disrupt the industry—helping more people learn, better measure their progress, and improve their navigation through life’s transitions.
More than ever before, ACT is fulfilling its mission of helping people achieve education and workplace success. We’re doing it by pushing the boundaries of learning innovation through the work of our people, who we call team members because we’re all in this together.
We know transformation does not come without challenge. That’s why ACT invests in a variety of experiences for team members to strengthen their connections, explore ideas, learn from customers, and celebrate success.
Learn more about working at ACT at act.org!