Machine Learning Engineer (Climate Data/NLP)
Sorry, but it’s closed
econscia is a young startup, founded 2020. We’re on a mission to help companies tackle their carbon footprints, with powerful analytical tools.
Our product, econscia cloud, is a solution for corporates to model their carbon emissions, using their own internal data.
We’re looking for a passionate developer starting out in their career, to join our mission to make impact on climate change.
We are currently a team of three, and funded through angel investment. We’ve worked together previously in B2B SaaS, and are looking to continue building our engineering team as we go to market.
We are hybrid working, and we hot desk at Second Home in Spitalfields a few times weekly, and remote otherwise. You must be eligible to work in London, UK.
econscia is a product for corporates to model and report carbon emissions. Sustainability teams spend months each year gathering and making sense of data from every part of their leaving little time to act on the problem. It’s inefficient and slow - and helps neither companies nor the environment.
You’ll work alongside us as we develop a powerful solution to automate this process, reducing time spent reporting from months to weeks, empowering sustainability teams to take positive action on climate change.
What you’ll do
You will be joining econscia’s small team at an exciting time. You will be a core member of the engineering team and have significant contribution building out the econscia Cloud platform. You will work with and be mentored by our experienced CTO, who has successfully built 3 technology startups from 0 employees to exit.
You will be working on different challenges day to day. This could be getting deep into research from which you’ll develop prototypes and POCs, working on key features alongside the team, or contributing to a clean, enterprise-grade SaaS application with security by design. We hope you can work with us to own key aspects of econscia’s analytics engine, but could also roll up your sleeves and dive into research, onboard customers, or dabble in unfamiliar technologies quickly - when the job needs to get done. Over time, the opportunity is yours to shape this role as we grow.
Who you are
You will be a software engineer early in your career, and you’re strong in at least one of the following:
- Python for production environments, ideally Django
- AWS inc. serverless components, ElasticBeanStalk
It would be an added bonus if you have experience with any of these, to complement our current skills:
- Data engineering or pipelines, ETL/ELT
- Front-end architecture/development with HTML5, object oriented CSS e.g. Less, Sass
- UX understanding/design
How we work
We think a lot about ways of working, and always look to better ourselves through different tools and techniques. We’re always excited to learn new practices and culture from other people and teams.
- Deep work
- finding ways to achieve strong focus and pace in mind
- specific and actionable feedback on a regular cadence from all team members
- Continuous improvement
- challenging our own workflows, automating as much as possible
- Decide fast
- timeboxing decisions, deciding fast, learning as quickly as we can, and accepting failure
- team members choose how, where and when they contribute
Whilst we are still a small company, values are important to us - especially as we look to grow.
- We work to achieve more tomorrow than we can today - in our tools, work, mindset and outcomes. We raise the bar and remove comfort. We try to see opportunities, not limitations, and aim for better as individuals and teams.
- A healthy body is a healthy mind. We aren’t religious, but we try to promote the right habits, and make time for balance and wellbeing amongst work.
- We avoid bullshit and aim to satisfy the needs of customers, and not our own.
- We try to be honest, and then we move on. The path to quality and improvement lies in honesty to yourself and others around you.
- Speed wins when all else is equal, but pace is about consistency and well-calibrated direction. Decisions are reversible and trying but failing should be celebrated.
- We believe the purpose of the team is to create a safe, high-trust environment to maximise individual performance. This touches all our work - including our behaviours, tools, communication, culture, support and motivation. We work to compound each other's efforts, and we're responsible to find the best in ourselves and others. We build discipline and routine, as the foundation for strong execution.
Why work at econscia
- £40-60k pa with equity options + pension
- 28 day’s holiday
- Flexible hours: choose how, when and where you work
- No-fly holidays policy: days spent travelling to holiday without flying don’t count toward your holiday allowance
- Deep work Wednesdays (no meetings - full focus)
- Modern central London co-working office space (Second Home), and remote working
- An environment where the best idea wins, and challenge is encouraged
- Personal monthly Fiverr budget - Delegate busy work and tasks you don’t want to do
- Work to make a real impact on the planet