What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
Job Summary:Markel Personal Lines, a division of Markel Corporation focused on providing personal lines insurance is searching for a Product Analyst. We specialize in motorcycle, watercraft, property, event, cyclist and other unique insurance products. We pride ourselves in our business philosophy of Common Sense or “No Nonsense”. We do not believe in gimmicks, jargon or jingles, but instead focus on providing smart and practical products. We provide exceptional customer service through our easy processes, honest communications and employee expertise.
The Product Analyst supports the Product Management department within Markel Personal Lines. He/She will work closely with the Product Management staff to develop appropriate pricing and product strategies of low to moderate complexity to support business goals. This position is intended for someone with a couple of years of relevant experience and will provide for ample training opportunities related to managing top and bottom line financials.
- Provides support to the Product Management team in the management of profitability and loss related to associated lines of business
- With minimal direction interprets datasets and reports, identifies trends and suggests possible solutions to products, pricing, risk management
- Works across business units to implement product changes
- Under guidance of product manager may take on product management duties for less complex and/or lower premium products
- Serves as subject matter expert for relevant personal lines data sources and reports with ability to suggest and implement improvements and efficiencies
- Proactively monitors competitive landscape and informs team of relevant actions within the market (includes rates/forms/underwriting guidelines as well as macro-economic research)
- Complete projects as delegated, understand what steps to be completed in order to meet that objective without extensive guidance and ensures project controls are in place throughout the lifecycle of the project
- Tracks own plan performance and project timeline and communicates and presents project status
- Actively participates in business review meetings within the department
- Solicits inputs from stakeholders
- Supports and trains other product analysts
Desired Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in related field of study such as risk management, actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics, economics, finance
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills to be able to analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve data issues
- Ability to grasp concepts quickly and complete tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to interact effectively across business units
- General understanding of personal lines products including available coverages, pricing strategies and underwriting appetite
- General understanding of insurance financials
- Ability to identify trends within data sets and understand what levers are available to effectively manage them
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office: Advanced – Excel, Intermediate – Word, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Computer proficiency in computer programming or business intelligence tools preferred
- Standard knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research preferred
- Work towards obtaining industry designation (CPCU, CIC, RPLU, ASLI, etc.) or related pricing or product management curriculum preferred
*This role could be elevated based on experience.
Markel offers associates exceptional benefits including immediate health and dental benefits, paid vacation and holidays, a 401k match, profit sharing, onsite fitness center and the ability to earn a potential bonus!
If you believe in our “Common Sense” philosophy and would like to work on a dynamic team to provide exceptional customer service, Markel Personal Lines is the place for you!
Please note: Markel has a phased approach for re-entry into our buildings that is designed to balance the ongoing health, safety, and well-being of our employees with operational considerations and regulatory/ governmental requirements and recommendations. Effective 10/1/21 we have implemented a hybrid return to work strategy that allows for three days in the office every week.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.