Ursa is looking for skilled data scientists to join our growing team! We build ground-breaking solutions to satellite-based information for organizations around the world. There is a lot of cross-pollination here at Ursa. You will have the opportunity to work with a diverse team of highly-skilled developers and data scientists, working on a variety of projects. There are no egos here - we are looking for the best ideas and are eager to hear your input!
The ideal candidate will bring experience in a wide variety of data-driven solutions, including statistical modeling, descriptive and predictive analytics, algorithm validation, and product development.
Role and Responsibilities
- Take the lead on data science projects and handle the development process from data definition all the way to model deployment, validation, and maintenance
- Build models of all shapes and sizes to fit a variety of different project needs - flexibility is key!
- Validate and evaluate algorithms designed to derive data from satellite images
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and answering rapid questions from various stakeholders across the organization
- Present findings to technical and nontechnical stakeholders using reports, slideshows, and interactive code
- Integrate third party data sets into projects when needed
- Learn and teach new technologies and skills to other members of the team
- Work directly with product managers, image scientists, and other data scientists to creatively tackle hard problems
- B.S. or M.S. in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Information Science, Physics, or a related field
- Strong knowledge of Python and associated data science libraries (e.g. Pandas, NumPy, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, XGBoost, etc.)
- Familiarity with various supervised regression and classification machine learning algorithms (e.g. linear/logistic regression, LDA, QDA, Naive Bayes, Neural Networks, boosting/bagging methods, etc.)
- Familiarity with unsupervised and semi-supervised machine learning algorithms (various clustering techniques, KNN, SVM, PCA, Neural Networks, etc.)
- Knowledge of visualization and presentation techniques including Matplotlib, Seaborn, Bokeh, RShiny, Tableau, Power BI, Jupyter Notebooks, etc.
- Ability to evaluate machine learning and/or image processing algorithms with key performance metrics (e.g. RMSE, R-Squared, FPR/TPR, AUC/ROC, etc.)
- Familiarity with software organizational tools and frameworks (e.g. Git, Docker, Anaconda, virtual environments, etc.)
- Prior experience working with remote sensing data, especially synthetic aperture radar (SAR) data
- Experience working with various database types (e.g. MySQL, NoSQL, Cassandra/Elassandra, MongoDB)
- Strong experience in optimizing and deploying machine learning algorithms via speed improvements and/or hyperparameter tuning techniques
- Familiarity with AWS S3, Microsoft Azure, Linux environments and EC2 instance development
- Knowledge of reinforcement learning to tackle image data related problems
- Prior usage of Confluence, Jira, and Miro is a plus!
- PhD in related field (example fields listed above)
Locations - Varies; we are headquartered in Ithaca, NY, though we have a remote workforce in NY, PA, VA, MD, NM, CT, and CO.
US Persons Only – US Citizen or Permanent Resident
We recommend you include:
- Cover letter
- Code/git portfolio sample
- Any other personal projects you wish to share
We look forward to hearing from you!