Owl Labs is seeking a Full-Stack Engineer to join our development team. The ideal candidate has strong experience across the stack, while showing expertise in a specific area(s). The ideal candidate has shown initiative in growing systems and can tell the story of what worked and what didn’t work, and how they overcame technical limitations. This role is inherently collaborative; you will work with engineering, marketing, design, and product teams, and interact with colleagues throughout all levels of the company. We are actively looking to increase the breadth of our team by finding candidates with strengths to complement ours.
In this role, you will impact some of the company's most important product development goals as you develop the technology that is at the core of Owl Labs’ groundbreaking products.
What You’ll Do
We are looking for a full stack engineer who will help build new ecosystems around our tremendously successful core of robotics-inspired IoT products. You’ll create new applications and build infrastructure that enables new interactive experiences for our customers. You will also help maintain and monitor some of our existing systems. On a daily basis, you’ll carry out some of the various engineering tasks as listed below:
- Work with product and design teams to add new features and screens to existing applications that allow customers to manage and interact with Owl Labs’ hardware products.
- Build out and implement a component library based on our UX team's design system so customers have a consistent experience.
- Create new applications that run on our hardware platforms that interact with both the underlying hardware and our Cloud endpoints, as well as third-party endpoints.
- Add new IoT functionality & features that expand the capabilities and the value of our hardware products.
- Build new integrations with third-party vendors (e.g. Slack, Zoom, GCal).
- Automate our infrastructure and delivery pipelines. Create tooling so we can all work faster.
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Engineering, et al. or a great portfolio of web-based applications.
- 2+ years experience creating non-trivial platforms on AWS (or comparable cloud) as well as creating frontends for non-trivial applications.
- Experience working in environments like NodeJS and Electron and frameworks like React.
- Experience with SQL and No-SQL data stores.
- Appreciation for building applications that show empathy for the customers using them, and the other developers who work with it.
- Ability to design and build from scratch.
- Skilled at jumping into an existing code base and building on top of it.
- Desire and ability to stretch beyond the environments, frameworks, and stacks that you’re already most comfortable with.
- Proactive and clear communication abilities.
- Appreciation for documentation.
- You are a maker. You do what it takes to ship and iterate on what you learn.
The best candidates will have:
- 2+ years experience creating non-trivial platforms on AWS (or comparable cloud) with cloudformation, terraform (or comparable technology) across multiple AZs.
- Experience with React Native.
- Experience with Electron and NodeJS.
- Experience with Honeycomb and sampling.
- Experience with PostgreSQL and Redis.
- Mobile development experience (Android and/or iOS).
The best candidates will share examples of:
- Grit & resilience.
- Work ethic.
- Teamwork & collaboration with peers/co-workers.
- A measurable history of performance.
- Self-awareness & coachability.
Owl Labs is over 40% remote and headquarters are based in Boston, MA. This is a remote position located in California. Please specify in your application. Our team is currently working 100% remote due to COVID-19.