Engineer 2- RFDS Inventory Management
Sorry, but it’s closed
Engineer 2- RFDS Inventory Management
Are you ready to help build a new platform of APIs and web applications that powers one of the most important business areas at Nordstrom? Do you enjoy working on distributed ledger transaction validation, cache invalidation and other inventory management problems? Are you looking for a team of committed individuals working toward a common goal with clarity and purpose?
Nordstrom is a fashion specialty retailer founded on a simple idea: offer each customer the best possible service, quality, value and selection. At Nordstrom, providing great customer service goes beyond the selling floor. It takes a team of individuals with different talents and skills to continuously improve services and processes serving our customer. Our Technologies division works in partnership with other areas of the Company to develop and support the business systems used throughout Nordstrom.
We are the Inventory Management team. With responsibility over building and supporting various applications and services including Store Inventory Management, Transfers, Receiving, Allocations, Routing, Sales & Return, Shipment, and Inventory Control, we are a significant part of Nordstrom customer experience. We build out new features and experiences on the Java, AWS, and Oracle technology stack in an agile, team-oriented and collaborative environment. We encourage innovation and expect developers to take a high level of ownership throughout the software life cycle.
We are looking for a skilled individual to provide valuable technical expertise to our projects and production support for our systems. When you join our team, you are part of the team that manages inventory management and movement decisions to support our business in multi-market and multi-channels with a continuous aim to improve and optimize the end user experience. You’re the type of person who thrives on taking care of things the right way the first time. You excel at taking a project from scoping requirements to design, coding and actual launch of the project. When you notice a bug or an issue, you take it upon yourself to investigate and come up with an efficient and scalable solution. When you say “I’ll take care of it” we know it’ll be done well. You love working with open source technologies and have experience with technologies & frameworks like Java, Spring Boot, Kafka, Docker and Kubernetes but you are ready to roll up your sleeves and dive in to PL/SQL to integrate with Oracle products as needed. You are able to clearly articulate what building cloud native applications entails and have experience using at least one of the three major cloud platforms. (AWS, Azure, GCP). You are passionate about the virtues of writing SOLID code and can passionately explain the difference between Behavior Driven Development and Test Driven Development to a junior developer. You have a strong desire to automate everything. You hate hearing the words “It has always been done this way” and are curious about why things are done the way they are today. You like contributing to open source projects and believe that reading other people’s code widens your perspective and skillset. You have your stylistic preferences when it comes to code but understand the discipline it takes to keep the source code maintainable. You love troubleshooting issues and know what it takes to get that code you wrote to Production if the Zombie apocalypse hits and the rest of the team is unavailable. You will develop and implement new technologies as well as maintain and enhance existing systems. You will create and support interfaces with internal systems, other technology teams across the company, and key external vendor applications. You will thrive in an intellectually challenging environment, solve problems and work with team members to create high quality solutions.
- Design & develop innovative solutions to drive Nordstrom business.
- Have a passion for writing clean, consistent, and elegant code to create scalable and reliable systems
- Contribute towards moving the team forward in leading edge processes like continuous integration, continuous delivery, cloud migration and test-driven development
- Work with defect tracking, source code control and software release systems to ensure high-quality software releases over time
- Assist in peer code reviews and provide constructive feedback
- Contribute to the design and development process as part of a SCRUM team.
- Transition from application development to support as needed to ensure that appropriate support is available in a timely and efficient manner.
- Drive build and release plans and implementation of all actions required to deploy applications to production environment.
- Assist development manager with planning, analysis and definition of high-level software strategies and solutions through functional knowledge and an understanding of the enterprise business systems and industry.
- Have a passion for keeping yourself current with industry trends and new technologies and ability to apply trends to architectural needs
- Ensure corporate policies and industry best practices are observed and followed in developed applications.
- Provide high-level analysis and design reviews to other members in department to avoid duplication of efforts in solving same application problem with different products.
- Participate in rotating 24x7 shifts to support developed products
- Work with business, infrastructure and security teams on delivering any enhancements and bug fixes for production systems
- 2+ years of professional experience in practice area
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS, Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Experience analyzing, designing, coding, testing, installing and maintaining complex software programs
- Our systems are built with a variety of technologies; therefore, applicants should have a strong grasp of multiple tech stacks
- Experience with Backend Database RDBMS (preferably Oracle) or NoSQL databases
- Experience with RESTful architecture and micro services. JSON and XML is required
- Experience with Amazon AWS services is required
- Familiarity with containerization technologies (Kubernetes, Docker) and modern development practices and development lifecycle using Scrum, Kanban, Lean or other agile methodologies
- Familiarity with CI/CD and testing tools
- Familiarity with messaging middleware (Kafka, SQS)
- Experience with writing services as well as consuming services using REST, SOAP, XML, JSON or any combination
- Emphasis on building metrics into the system and providing visibility on uptime and performance via real time alerting, reporting, and dashboards
- Sound object-oriented design skills and knowledge of application design patterns
- Experience working with diverse, collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to persuade inspire and motivate others. This includes communicating technical information to nontechnical audiences
- Experience with Oracle Retail Merchandising Applications (RMS, RIB, SIM) is a plus
- Highly self-motivated and directed
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2021 Nordstrom
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.
Hourly and salary pay ranges specific to Colorado are listed below, which is provided in compliance with Colorado law. Nordstrom continues to remain competitive with pay and benefits in all markets.
Minimum - $12.55/hr
Maximum - $46.10/hr
Salary (Non-Exempt and Exempt)
Minimum - $30,200/annual
Maximum - $289,200/annual