Who we are
Healthcare is more confusing, more costly, and more complex than ever. Transcarent is a health and care experience company on a mission to empower Members to stay healthy by providing them with unbiased information, trusted guidance, and easy access to high value care where and when they need it.
You will be part of a world-class team, supported by top tier investors like 7wireVentures and General Catalyst, and founded by a mission-driven team committed to transforming the health and care experience for all, including the same team behind Livongo, a digital health company that exited for $18.5B in 2020. We closed on our Series B funding in June 2021, raising our total funding to $98 million and enabling us to respond to the demand for rapid expansion of our offering.
Transcarent is committed to growing and empowering a diverse and inclusive community within our company. We believe that a team with diverse lived experiences, working together will strengthen our organization, and our ability to deliver "not just better but different" experiences for our members.
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don’t apply unless they meet 100% of the job criteria. While we have worked to consolidate the minimum qualifications for each role, we aren’t looking for someone who checks each box on a page; we’re looking for active learners and people who care about disrupting the current health and care with their unique experiences.
What we look for in our teammates
We are looking for teammates to join us in building our company, culture, and Member experience who:
- Put people first, and make decisions with the Member’s best interests in mind
- Are active learners, constantly looking to improve and grow
- Are driven by our mission to measurably improve health and care each day
- Bring the energy needed to transform health and care, and move and adapt rapidly
- Are laser focused on delivering results for Members, and proactively problem solving to get there
What we look for in this role
The Transcarent Health Economics, Analytics, and Data Science (HEADS) team empowers the organization to make data-driven decisions and provides critical business insights that help us execute in a world-class fashion. We are seeking a talented and motivated technical expert to accelerate our efforts to drive trust, adoption, and democratization of insights externally to our clients and members as well as internally to our stakeholders and leaders.
The Data Scientist will work closely with Product, Engineering, Data Infrastructure, Member Success, Clinical, and Product Marketing. You will empower product development with actionable, transparent, and trustworthy advanced analytics on member digital and human engagement, member health outcomes, financial outcomes, opportunity analyses, and ROI on product investments. A successful candidate will be a collaborative partner, intellectually curious about novel use cases for healthcare data, passionate about evangelizing their strong technical foundations through process and mentorship, and influential in key decisions. You will have a meaningful role with high visibility across the company and the opportunity to mentor and collaborate with others.
In this role, you will...
- Master our familiarity with our varied types of data from healthcare claims data, digital engagement data, third party point solution member utilization data, operational data, healthcare provider quality data, market benchmarking data, social determinants of health data, and any other interesting data we can acquire
- Continually learn about the company and product priorities by partnering closely with leadership and business stakeholders to embrace a culture of AI and hypothesis-driven innovation; help stakeholders identify key questions, structure experiments, and interpret results to power data-driven decisions
- Work with the HEADS management and other Senior Data Scientists to collect information on the needs and desired outcome of a project including identifying cross functional stakeholders, clarifying deadlines, and understanding the larger goal and business need for the project
- Understand how to identify, acquire, and utilize data sources to answer specific business questions
- Support data fluency throughout the organization through standardized measurement techniques, compelling business insights, proactively sharing your knowledge of the data with others by means authentic to you, and developing and maintaining data documentation for your work and underlying data sources
- Collaborate with data engineering to ensure excellent data infrastructure. Work closely with our business intelligence and reporting deliverables and teams. Design and implement analytics solutions and definitions that offer self-service capabilities and enable consistency & scalability with cross-functional teams
- Present your analytical findings to key leaders and stakeholders including external stakeholders like medical providers
What we're looking for
- Focus on data-driven decision making and learning by experimentation.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to effectively present information, write reports, and correspond with leaders, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Stakeholder management, sometimes with competing priorities.
- Ability to know when & how to balance the tradeoff between perfect solutions and ‘good enough’ solutions.
- Ability and willingness to learn/develop new data source identification/acquisition, data collection and ETL techniques and data analysis tools as needed.
- Experience measuring the impact of member/consumer behavior on personal, clinical and financial outcomes.
- Intrinsic interest in continuous learning and teaching colleagues.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Proficient programming skills in SQL
- Proficient in querying data from relational database management systems (RDBMS) and familiarity with schema designs. RDBMS can include Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Snowflake, AWS Redshift, etc.
- Advanced-beginner skill level in Python or R. Experience programming in common IDEs like Jupyter Notebooks or RStudio. Skilled in common libraries/packages: pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib/Seaborn, tidyverse (dplyr, tidyr, readr, purr, ggplot2), data.table, markdown, knitr, Plotly, etc.
- Advanced-beginner skills with data visualization tools such as PowerBI, Looker, Tableau, Excel.
- Beginner skills with machine learning (ML) libraries/packages/APIs: scikit-learn, tidymodels, H20, DataRobot, TensorFlow, ML Flow, etc.
- Familiarity with Data Science platforms and cloud computing services: Apache Spark/Hadoop/Hive, Amazon S3, Databricks, Domino Data Labs, Microsoft Azure, Google BigQuery, etc.
- Proficient Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) and visualization skills: choosing appropriate statistical measures, calculating basic summary statistics, displaying quantitative information through appropriate tables and graphs
- Advanced-beginner skills in statistical techniques: hypothesis testing, ANOVA, linear regression, probability distributions and inferential statistics, experimental design (A/B testing), anomaly detection, time series analysis and forecasting
- Beginner skills in machine learning (ML): regression and classification models (linear and regularized regression, GLM, logistic regression, decision trees), model tuning and training, ensemble learning (random forests, xgboost), dimensionality reduction techniques, unsupervised learning (knn, clustering)
Nice to Have
- Experience with Snowflake
- Experience with github and code versioning and production-based environments
- Business Intelligence or Product Analytics experience in healthcare or tech field
- Passion for understanding the incentives of healthcare plan members, the self-funded insurer experience, and optimizing for both
You must be authorized to work in the United States. Depending on the position we may have a preference to a specific location but are generally open to remote work anywhere in the US.
Transcarent is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out!