Posting TitleModeler & Analyst Year-Round Intern (Multi-body and Multi-degree of Freedom Dynamics)
LocationCO - Boulder
Position TypeIntern (Fixed Term)
Hours Per Week25
Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Protocols
Employment at NREL is contingent upon your compliance with all NREL and DOE safety protocols and mitigation efforts directed at the COVID-19 pandemic. At present, NREL requires all employees to be immunized against COVID-19. Upon hire, new employees must be prepared to provide proof of vaccination on your first day of employment. All employees must have completed vaccinations by November 1, 2021.
Working at NRELNREL’s 305-acre Flatirons Campus is the nation’s premier wind energy, water power, and grid integration research facility. Nestled south of Boulder, Colorado, and north of NREL’s main South Table Mountain campus, Flatirons sits adjacent to the Rocky Flats National Wildlife Refuge and countless acres of open space and parks with stunning views of the Flatirons rock formations.
From day one at NREL, you’ll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you’ll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) is a leader in the U.S. Department of Energy’s effort to secure an energy future that is both environmentally and economically sustainable. With locations in Golden, Boulder, and Washington D.C., NREL is the primary laboratory for research, development, and deployment of renewable energy technologies in the United States. The NREL mission is to develop renewable energy and energy efficient technologies and practices, advance related science and engineering, and transfer knowledge and innovation to address the nation’s energy and environmental goals.
NREL’s Flatirons Campus conducts world-class research in the areas of wind energy, water power, and grid integration. As part of NREL’s missions in water power, NREL is seeking a student to conduct research and development in the areas of distributed embedded energy converter technology (DEEC-Tec) for ocean wave energy conversion.
Specifically, the position will primarily include the following tasks:
- Develop and apply Newtonian and/or Lagrangian mechanics to model and analyze multi-body and multi-degree of freedom systems.
- Develop and employ numerical methods to model and analyze multi-body and multi-degree of freedom systems via MathWorks MATLAB and its ODE solvers and functions.
- Evaluate the implementations and outcomes of the multi-body & multi-degree of freedom mathematical (Newtonian/Lagrangian mechanics) models and their corresponding numerical model counterparts.
- Identify and develop future pathways for advancing the general modeling and analysis of multi-body & multi-degree of freedom distributed embedded energy converter based ocean wave energy converters.
- Generate reports and publications for the dissemination of conducted work and corresponding outcomes for larger audiences.
This internship position is hiring for part-time work (max 25 hours per week) for currently enrolled students or recent graduates, to be completely remotely.
Basic QualificationsMust be enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor's, Master's or PhD degree program, or graduated in the past 12 months from an accredited institution. Internship period cannot exceed 12 months past graduation. Minimum of a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.
•You will need to upload official or unofficial school transcripts as part of the application process.
•If selected for position, a letter of recommendation will be required as part of the hiring process.
Additional Required Qualifications
The ideal candidate would possess at least some of the following preferred qualifications:
- Cumulative undergraduate/graduate GPA over 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (please provide on resume)
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise utilizing Newtonian or Lagrangian mechanics.
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise using MathWorks’ MATLAB software.
- Some experience of the following software is preferred: MathWorks’ Simulink, WAMIT, Julia, SolidWORKS, Rhino 3D, National Instruments’ Labview & hardware.
- Some experience with active controller development – via MathWorks’ MATLAB control based toolboxes.
- Preferred engineering and modeling experience in area of marine renewable energy technologies.
- Preferred experience developing numerical model visualizations and animations.
- Preferred knowledge in various programing paradigms: e.g., functional programing, object-oriented programing, high performance computer programing, visual/linked-block-based programming.
- Strong organization, writing, and presentation skills
Annual Salary Range (based on full-time 40 hours per week)Annual Salary Range: $39,600 - $63,500 Offers will typically be made in the bottom half of the listed range. NREL takes into consideration a candidate’s education, training, and experience, as well as the position's work location, expected quality and quantity of work, required travel (if any), external market and internal value, including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment when determining the salary level for potential new employees. In compliance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, a potential new employee’s salary history will not be used in compensation decisions.
Benefits SummaryBenefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; 403(b) Employee Savings Plan with employer match*; and sick leave (where required by law). NREL employees may be eligible for, but are not guaranteed, performance-, merit-, and achievement- based awards that include a monetary component. Some positions may be eligible for relocation expense reimbursement. Internships projected to be less than 20 hours per week are not eligible for medical, dental, or vision benefits.
* Based on eligibility rules
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at NREL you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
NREL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard basis of age (40 and over), color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin/ancestry, race, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding), sexual orientation, and any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
E-Verify www.dhs.gov/E-Verify|For information about right to work, click here for English or here for Spanish.
E-Verify is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce.