Bitwarden promotes better internet security and safety with an open source password management solution for individuals, teams, and business organizations.
As a Software Architect at Bitwarden, you will contribute directly to the future of the Bitwarden product across mobile, web and server components while working with a great team and amazing open source community. We’re looking for someone who can take ownership of the Bitwarden product architecture and development ecosystem throughout the entire development lifecycle and play a direct role in shaping our product and technology platform. Additionally, an architect helps direct and support decisions for new frameworks, technical direction and technology goals for the product and team.
This is a hands-on position! You will not only be “drawing boxes” but also building proof-of-concept prototypes, sample implementations, and providing mentorship to other developers in one or more technologies across our tech stack.
This is an all-remote team and US time zones are preferred. We do not offer visa sponsorship at this time.
- Become an expert and authority on the entire Bitwarden codebase, including: backend infrastructure, APIs, database, web app, mobile apps, browser extensions, desktop apps, and more
- Participate in hands-on development of the Bitwarden product
- Actively participate in code reviews, learning, and spreading technical knowledge
- Occasionally contribute bug fixes submitted by the user community
- Provide a point of technical escalation and knowledge to help resolve issues and technical hurdles the team may encounter
- Design, plan and document new APIs, platform extensions, integrations, and more complex systems
- Help Bitwarden approach platform agnostic solutions across cloud, native, framework supported, and customer hosted offerings
What we are looking for
- Several successful projects under your belt as an architect and hands-on technical lead
- Proficiency using source control such as Git, SVN, Subversion, TFS, etc.
- Collaborative and adaptable mindset
- Openness and authenticity combined with excellent communication skills
- Excitement and enthusiasm for helping customers solve security and password challenges
- Excellent problem-solving skills – you might not know all the answers but you know how to find and communicate the solution
- Zeal for learning and desire to develop yours and your peers’ skills in software development
- User of Bitwarden
- Startup experience
- Open source experience
- Mobile apps experience
- Experience in Angular or React, Node.js, electron
What to expect from the interview process
Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30-minute screening call and then progress through the following stages:
- Interview with the VP of Engineering
- Interview/s with team members
- Interview with CTO
- Interview with CEO
Final candidates will be required to authorize a background check.
A few reasons to work with us
- Our user community loves us and we love them. Come to work each day with a sense of
- purpose as we bring a more secure internet experience to everyone from our friends and family to the world’s largest organizations.
- Become an expert. You’ll get immersed in the prominent technology markets of security and open source software.
- We are dedicated to building an incredible team. Work remotely with motivated and innovative team members and take part in productive and fun meetups.
- Learn and grow. Take on new challenges with the support of your team.
- Our engineering team makes it a policy to carve out some time for personal growth, learning, skill building and pursuing personal passions that positively impact the team and company. To ensure that everyone has time to reaffirm their purpose and grow, you are encouraged to self-direct up to 15% of your week to what you feel is important for the company and for yourself.
A note to outside sourcers: we do not accept solicitations from recruiters, recruiting agencies, headhunters, or outsourcing organizations and request to be removed from all such contact lists.