Associate Site Reliability Engineer
Sorry, but it’s closed
Who is Virgin Pulse?
Virgin Pulse, founded as part of Sir Richard Branson’s famed Virgin Group, helps organizations build employee health and wellbeing into the DNA of their corporate cultures. As the only company to deliver a powerful, mobile-first digital platform infused with live services, including coaching and biometric screenings, Virgin Pulse takes a high-tech-meets-high-touch-approach to engage employees in improving across all aspects of their health and wellbeing, every day – from prevention and building a healthy lifestyle to condition and disease management to condition reversal, all while engaging users daily in building and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors. A global leader in health and wellbeing, Virgin Pulse is committed to helping change lives and businesses around the world for good so that people and organizations can thrive, together. Today, more than 3100 organizations across the globe are using Virgin Pulse solutions to improve health, employee wellbeing and engagement, reduce costs and create strong workplace cultures. Who are our employees?
At Virgin Pulse we’re passionate about changing lives for good. We want to make a difference in the world by helping people be healthy so they can perform at their best, every day, at work and home. Our award-winning solutions support leading employers in improving and simplifying the employee health and wellbeing journey and engaging people in all aspects of their health. But our world-class products and programs are nothing without our people – the employees who design, build, promote, sell, test and perfect the latest innovations in workplace health and wellbeing. Our people are our top priority and we invest in their health and happiness. At Virgin Pulse, we have so much more than a strong, supportive company culture – have a shared vision for a healthier, happier world.
What are we building?
We are focused on continuing the growth of our next-generation SaaS application and are looking for people who aspire to be a Site Reliability Engineer to join our team.
You bring to the table a base understanding of many modern open-source web technologies, and are dedicated to learning more.
You'll be working on platform that serves:
- Several million engaged users
- 4.000 Clients across 190 countries, including 25% of Fortune 500 companies
- 50 billion+ consumer generated API calls a year
Who you are
Associate Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) is what you get when you treat system operations as a software engineering problem. The mission of the Site Reliability Engineering team is to ensure uninterrupted service for Virgin Pulse customers. The SRE team is an engineering team that builds, improves, and runs critical backend services as well as tooling and automation to allow product teams to release and scale their software reliably and predictably. SREs are team players who embed themselves within product teams as needed to advance the architecture and performance of software systems and train their peers in topics such as debugging distributed systems, building self-healing applications and continuously improving performance of a platform that streams billions of API calls and events. Site Reliability Engineers also participate in an on call rotation to monitor the uptime of the application 24/7. As a Site Reliability Engineer you will own the most critical Virgin Pulse platform services and make a big impact on the productivity of our product engineering teams. This is a skill based job. Candidates with AWS skills, software architecture knowledge and a wide array of programming skills are preferred, along with past experience with large cloud deployments. With millions of members, Virgin Pulse is one of the largest SaaS companies in the health and wellbeing market.
In this role, you will wear many hats but your skills will be crucial in the following:
- Building resilient, distributed systems using cutting edge technologies while deploying and running them at scale
- Release Engineering (CI/CD, automation tools, monitoring)
- Incident Triage & Response
- Supporting and maintaining infrastructure across multiple pre-production and production environments
- Scalability Reviews (JVM tuning, Load testing, Architecture reviews, Database performance)
- Enhancing monitoring capabilities at all levels of the stack
What you bring to the team
In order to represent the best of what we have to offer you come to us with a multitude of positive attributes including:
- Familiarity with scripting language such as Python or Lua
- Demonstrable knowledge of continuous integration and/or continuous deployment tools and scripting. TeamCity skills would be a bonus.
- Experience with infrastructure automation tools (Ansible, Chef or Puppet)
- Proficiency with AWS management (EC2, SNS/SQS, RDS) and expertise in Linux server administration
- Strong experience with supporting and building systems on the JVM
- Ability to conduct thorough investigations, including a deep dive, into reliability and scaling issues from both a code and infrastructure perspective
- Aptitude for wiring up key application performance metrics and alerting such as New Relic or Nagios.
Work to ensure system and data security is maintained at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity and availability of the Virgin Pulse application is not compromised. Ensure industry best practice coding standards are adhered to in particular ensure all code developed at Virgin Pulse is free from bugs and security vulnerabilities, such as those defined and published by OWASP.
Why work here?
We believe a career should provide competitive pay and benefits, a collaborative and supportive work environment, strong employee culture and cutting-edge technology and services — so many reasons to love it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any protected class status.