Senior Director, Project Management - Vaccine Research & Development
7Z4 Pfizer, Inc.
Sorry, but it’s closed
Provide overall project management expertise for Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) Program Teams. Uses in-depth experience to ensure creation of strategic and operational objectives from early (lead) development through Proof of Concept or licensure of the product depending on the program. Ensure the operational deliverables of the project are achieved on or ahead of schedule and within budget such that they meet the desired product profile (i.e. quality standard, value), business deliverables and/or key criteria, as required. Support organizational portfolio planning and governance processes, as needed.
- Partners with the Research Lead, Clinical Lead and team members to develop forward thinking programs that maximize medical and commercial value. Applies extensive expertise and in-depth knowledge of the vaccine development process and project management tools to drive team alignment in creation of development strategy, plans and budgets of programs from early development through licensure and post- approval commitments; ensure Team operational discipline by appropriate adherence to approved strategy, budget and time lines.
- Analyzes vaccine portfolio and strategy issues. Develops and prepares executive reports and presentations for Pfizer vaccine stakeholders.
Program Planning and Management
- Expert in project management planning tools. Knowledge of individual project timelines and assumptions supporting major program/project milestones. Understands how individual project timelines affect an overall program (portfolio of projects). Drives program/project issue resolution by working with key stakeholders.
- Highly skilled at meeting management / facilitation; drives the team to respond rapidly to new information in order to move the program forward expeditiously
- Expert in dealing with ambiguity and uncertainty regarding near-term outcomes in development while maintaining a focus on the most efficient means to achieve the future value proposition. Experienced in options, scenarios and risk analysis.
- Ensures that teams work effectively to move the program forward. Highly skilled at developing trust and collaboration with team members and partner lines. Develops effective and collaborative working relationships with key functional stakeholders including senior management. Experienced in managing difficult situations and conflict management.
- Routinely exhibits the courage to confront and quickly resolve difficult issues or conflicts. Takes a position in controversial issues when appropriate and expertly challenges the team to reach high-quality decisions that are in the best interests of the program. Skilled in leading through influence and collaboration. Communicates effectively with VRD senior management and beyond to assure timely decisions are made.
- Working with other internal Pfizer organizations help facilitate the vaccine portfolio prioritization process, as needed.
- Support long-term planning for the development management function by forecasting future work load, resource demands, etc. to ensure high-quality, effective program management support for vaccine development programs.
Scientific/ Technical Knowledge
- Clearly understands the development process, scientific mechanism of action, disease pathophysiology, unmet needs, standard of care and competitive landscape in relation to the program. Assimilates new and emerging disease area, program-specific and competitive data and applies this to ongoing and future development programs.
- Has extensive knowledge of drug development in the industry. Understands the vaccine drug development process at Pfizer and internal governance procedures and expectations. Uses knowledge of Pfizer processes to achieve program objectives. Analyzes and integrates data from across functional areas to provide strategic guidance to the team in developing and executing projects.
- Exhibits a continual interest in learning across all aspects of drug development and leads process improvement efforts as needed.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Advanced degree (MS, Ph.D., MD) in relevant biology, biochemistry or related discipline preferred.
- 10+ years of biotechnology experience with vaccine/drug development expertise.
- Sustained and successful experience with project management working with cross-disciplinary teams; works well across boundaries in a highly matrix-based organization.
- Successful experience in interacting with and influencing thought leaders, including the development and rationalization of scientific and business strategies.
- Has demonstrated the ability to have a positive impact on others
- Effective in communication skills both verbal and written; listens and understands well. Excellent interactive skills with people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Proactively recognizes needs and problems, and independently identifies and implements effective steps and solutions
- Training and/or academic background in one of the disciplines related to drug (vaccine) R&D and/or knowledge/training in business management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in project management discipline and its application to drug (vaccine) R&D.
- Good oral and written communication skills
Other Job Details:
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.Research and Development