Arista was founded by Andy Bechtolsheim who also founded Sun Microsystems and was one of the original investors in Google. Arista is a profitable, publicly quoted company, growing rapidly with over 3000 customers including 7 out of the 8 largest cloud titans which include eBay, Facebook, Microsoft, Netflix, PayPal, Spotify, and industry partners such as VMware, Dell, F5, HP, Infinera, Nuage, Palo Alto Networks, Supermicro, Inc and Rackspace. Arista is headquartered in Santa Clara, California and has development offices in the US, Canada, India and now Ireland.
Arista recently acquired the Awake Security NDR (Network Detection and Response) platform and is excited to grow Awake’s engineering team. We are hiring a software engineer to improve our development tooling and infrastructure to ensure smooth growth going forward.
Our Backend team is responsible for a mix of shared infrastructure, services, and developer productivity. Your responsibilities would include managing our CI / CD pipelines, but you could branch out into other responsibilities as time went on. We use Nix and Haskell extensively on our team; for example: we use NixOS for shared infrastructure and our product, Nix / Nixpkgs for building and distributing software, and Haskell for all of our developer tools.
Our team of three people is open to both remote and local candidates; currently two of us are full-time remote and one of us (outside of the pandemic) is part-time remote. For remote applicants, we prioritize candidates in countries where Arista has an office (US, Canada, Ireland, and India). We will consider other applicants with a strong background but we will prefer candidates from those countries if all other things are equal.
- This position is for an accomplished mid-level engineer with demonstrated relevant experience and/or open source portfolio.
- Proficiency with Nix is required. This position will use Nix / Nixpkgs / NixOS quite extensively. If you have ever administered a NixOS system (whether your own development machine or a server) or made upstream contributions to Nixpkgs then you probably have the required level of proficiency.
- Proficiency in Haskell is a plus, but not required.We use Haskell extensively in essentially all of our in-house developer tools and services. We assume that if you are proficient in Nix (or more generally functional programming) then we can train/mentor you in Haskell.
- Implementing our continuous delivery pipeline. We have a nascent continuous delivery pipeline that needs substantial improvements before our engineering organization can use it more extensively.
- Improving our continuous integration pipeline. This includes improving our merge automation service and test reporting and metrics, as well as performance monitoring and tuning of our pipeline to improve throughput.
- Regularly upgrading our software distribution. We would like to track Nixpkgs releases in a timely fashion so that we can reduce our proprietary code footprint and open source more of our work. Additionally, many of our developers use macOS and we need to track Nixpkgs closely to ensure that we pick up ongoing improvements to Mac hardware support.
- Curiosity. We love candidates who love to dig deep into weird and highly technical stuff, and we’re pretty confident that anybody who has used Nix / Nixpkgs / NixOS extensively will probably fit the bill.
- Persistence. A significant component of this job will be moving “big rocks” that will require sustained attention and focus, possibly for weeks.
- Teaching. We are looking for an interest and willingness to mentor junior members of our team.
- Responsibility. As an engineer, we expect you to be comfortable branching out from your initial responsibilities.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary with RSU grant
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision
- 401k with company match
- Reimbursement for conferences related to work
- Flexible vacation
- Flexible work hours and paternity/maternity leave
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.